You are here
Augusta Health maintains and exhibits an extensive permanent collection of Fine Art encompassing a wide variety of subjects and media. The primary focus of the collection is on regional artwork. Virginia artists are well represented in the collection, with a special emphasis placed on the acquisition of works by artists of the Western Virginia and Shenandoah Valley regions. This web site features only a portion of the collection. Visitors to the hospital may obtain a brochure detailing the full collection at the information desk in the Main Lobby.
A changing exhibit of artwork is displayed in the first floor Gallery Hall.
The art collection and changing exhibits are managed by the Augusta Health Art Committee, a volunteer community task force composed of citizens knowledgeable in the arts. The Art Committee reviews and selects all art works, whether purchased or donated to the hospital.
A wonderful way to make a donation or memorial gift to the hospital is through a contribution to the Art Purchase Fund. Gifts may be made as memorials or in honor of individuals or organizations. Your inquiries and contributions are welcome. Please contact:
P.O. Box 1000
Fishersville, VA 22939
(540) 332-4740 or (540) 932-4740
The artwork shown on this site is not to be used or reproduced in any form without the express written permission of Augusta Health.
Art Selection Guidelines
- Art should be positive, generally uplifting and/or calming. Subject matter must be non-controversial and appropriate to the hospital setting. Humor and whimsy are acceptable.
- Any work that is depressing or disturbing in any way through imagery, gesture, or violent color is not acceptable.
- Except for the above statement, color is preferable to monochrome, black and white, or even pastels, except in more intimate areas such as small waiting areas or small dining rooms. Patients and staff seem to want color.
- Artwork that reflects the immediate local environment is desirable.
- No reproductions will be accepted in the public areas.
- Photographic art must be original works.
- Artwork should be durable and easy to maintain.
- Two and three dimensional work will be accepted. However, there will be limited areas for three dimensional art.