Walk with a Doc! Next Walk August 12 in Gypsy Hill Park
It was another great day for walking on July 15 on Waynesboro’s Greenway! The participants in Augusta Health’s Walk with a Doc joined Barbara Fenton, MD and got some tips to ‘Remain Independent by Walking’:
- We walk in order to remain independent longer in life.
- A major concern for many aging adults today is losing their independence.
- According to a study in the Journal of Gerontology, regular exercise improved seniors’ balance, walking speed and their ability to rise from a chair without assistance.
- By continuing to walk into old age, seniors are better able to perform daily activities of living independently.
- The more active aging adults remain, the less likely they are to suffer from an age-related disability.
- So let’s get moving!
The next walk will be in Gypsy Hill Park in Staunton on Saturday, August 12. The walk will begin at the Bandstand. Walkers get a free t-shirt and pedometer. Lewis Siegel from Augusta Health Cardiology will lead the walk. See you there!