Why did you choose your specialty area?
I fell in love with breast imaging because I get to help patients through a stressful and uncertain time. Early on I found that I had an eye to see the cancers on mammograms and by identifying these suspicious findings on imaging I made a difference in the cancer outcomes for women. In breast imaging, we also get to do small procedures to diagnose cancers, as well as other non-cancer lesions. I enjoy performing procedures and work hard to do them in a way that is painless and easy for my patients.
How do you spend your spare time?
I stay busy spending time with my four kids and husband. Between the four we spend time supporting and watching swim meets, soccer games, gymnastics meets and dance recitals. When we are not traveling to activities, we like to play card games and hang out with friends. I enjoy running for personal exercise and spending our Wednesday nights at the pool for summer swim meets.
#1 health tip that you can offer:
I think it is important to do things in moderation, spend time moving/exercising daily, find something that makes you smile each day, and of course to get your yearly screening mammogram to reduce your risk of death from breast cancer (the most common cancer affecting women).
|Undergraduate School||Iowa State University|
|Medical School||University of Iowa College of Medicine|
|Fellowship||University of Virginia, Breast Imaging Fellowship|
- 2009 - Present. Keats Society (Alumni Association Department of Radiology UVA), Past President.
- 2008 - Present. Association of Program Directors of Radiology, Past Committee Chairperson.
- 2007 - Present. Association of University Radiologists.
- 2005 - Present. Society of Breast Imaging.
- 2001 - Present. American College of Radiology, Councilor and Alternate Councilor.
- 2001 - Present. American Roentgen Ray Society.
- 2001 - Present. Radiological Society of North America.
- 1996 - Present. American Medical Association.
- 2012 - 2015, 2017 - 2018. Albemarle County Medical Society, Past Board Member.
- 2005 - 2018. Medical Society of Virginia. Past Council Representative.
- 2019: Volunteer Service Award. American Board of Radiology (ABR).
- 2019: You Make a Difference Award. “Congratulations! You have made a difference to someone by providing excellent care or service.” Awarded by a patient April 2019.
- 2015: Fellowship in the Society of Breast Imaging.
- 2015: AUR (Association of University Radiologists) Radiology Management Program Award Winner.
- 2012: AUR-Agfa Radiology Management Program.
- 2010: AUR-Philips Academic Faculty Development Program.
- 2010: RSNA (Radiology Society of North America) Certificate of Merit for Educational Exhibit. “Interactive Breast Radiology-Pathology Case Review: Management, is it Concordant?”
- 2008: RSNA Cum Laude Award for Educational Exhibit. “Beyond Galactography: Conventional MR Imaging & Techniques and Emerging MR Imaging Horizons for Evaluating Intraductal Lesions of the Breast”
- 2008: AAMC (Association of American Medical Groups) Early Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar.
- 2007: AUR-Philips Academic Faculty Development Program.
- 2007: Intramural Research Grant Program. 3D-MR ductography and contrast enhanced MR mammography in patients with suspicious nipple discharge: A feasibility study.
- 2006: Superior Performance Award. Awarded to BT Nicholson, MA Cohen, J Ramkaransingh and D Murphy. “Your staff are an excellent example of those who provide unique services and exhibits a strong sense of responsibilities.” Awarded by a patient 2006.
While every attempt is made to ensure this information is up to date, please check with this office for current insurance plan participation.
- America’s Choice Provider Network (ACPN)
- Anabaptist Healthshare
- Anthem BCBS
- Magellan Complete Care
- Molina Healthcare (Medicare/Medicaid)
- Sentara Optima
- United Healthcare (UHC)
- VA Choice
- Virginia Health Network
- Virginia Premier