Tobacco Free Campus
The hospital is an ideal role model for
a healthy environment within our community
- A 100% tobacco-free campus supports protecting patients, employees, and visitors from any exposure to second hand smoke: "Harm Reduction".
- 100% Tobacco-Free assists those trying to quit.
- Increased evidence about danger of 2nd hand smoke in Surgeon General's Report 2006: no safe level of exposure to tobacco smoke. (2014 Surgeon General’s Report)
- Important to support Augusta Health's mission: to improve overall health of our communities.
Tobacco Toll on the US
The CDC states:
- Over 438,000 people die each year from their own cigarette smoking
- 26,100 to 73,000 die each year from other's smoking
- 6,000,000+ Youth under 18 alive today who will ultimately die from smoking (at current smoking rates)
- 8,600,000 people alive now but living with a smoking related disease
- Smoking kills more people than alcohol, AIDS, MVAs, illegal drugs, murders, and suicides combined
Costs of Tobacco to Augusta Health
Human resources and maintenance
- Smokers on average miss 6.16 days of work per year due to sickness compared to non-smokers at 3.86.
- Smokers had more hospital admission per 1,000, longer average length of stay (20%) and made 6 more visits to health care facilities.
- Smokers had two times more lost productive time (LPT) per week: $27 billion to employers.
- Businesses pay on average of $2,189 in WC costs for smokers compared to $176 for nonsmokers
CDC puts a cost of $3,391 on each employee who smokes: $1,760 in lost productivity and $1,623 in excess medical expenditures.
- Elimination of smoking reduced cleaning and maintenance expenses by 10%.
"Providing a space to smoke does not assist patients or employees with quitting or provide a healthier environment. Building and maintaining smoking hut sends a message of approval for smoking"
Our Message Is...
- Becoming a smoke-free environment does not mean "smoker-free" or "anti-smoker"
- We welcome people, not smoke
- The key to avoiding misconceptions is an excellent communication plan and offering assistance to tobacco users