Here are some helpful tips to managing pain without medication.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet – to reduce inflammation and keep muscles & bones strong.
- Maintain a healthy weight – excess weight puts stress on joints and muscles, thereby increasing pain.
- Exercise regularly – choose low-impact activities such as walking, swimming, and biking. These activities don't strain or jolt the back and allow the muscles to function better.
- Build muscle strength and flexibility – building core strength helps ensure that the muscles supporting movement are healthy and strong, to improve your posture and protect the body from injury.
- Focus on good posture and body mechanics – to reduce everyday aches and pains, do not sit for extended periods of time. Avoid heavy lifting and when you need to lift, let your legs do the work.
- Quit smoking – smokers are more prone to pain than non-smokers. Nicotine restricts blood flow to the muscles and causes inflammation.
- Manage stress – feelings of pain are increased when stress levels are high. Meditation, gentle stretching, tai chi and other methods of stress reduction can be very helpful.